What is Facebook Retargeting Advertising?
Retargeting at its most basic definition is recapturing traffic that has already visited a piece of your content online (video, Blog Post, Website, etc), with the goal of getting them to come back and convert into new clients, sales, etc. It is arguably the most effective type of PPC advertising that exists and the likelihood for a conversion goes up exponentially from retargeted traffic vs. first-time visitors or cold traffic. This article hits particularly on Facebook Retargeting Advertising and how to set up a campaign for your business.
To drive this point home, here are some stats that we pulled from www.wishpond.com
- a website visitor who’s been retargeted with a display ad is 70% more likely to convert with you? (whatever a conversion means to your business)
- The average click through rate on retargeting ads is 10x’s higher than standard display ads (regular PPC)
- In one ecom store case study – implementation of retargeting advertising resulted in a +1046% increase in search volume for their brand.
Here is a basic diagram on how retargeting works. Image source: https://econsultancy.com/
Where can you use retargeting advertising?
Long story short there are a variety of different ways to implement retargeting advertising for your business. In this article I will just cover one of the more popular platforms for this type of advertising, Facebook. Bear in mind that there are more options than this, but if you were going to start somewhere I would encourage you to start here or Google and build out from there..
Facebook Retargeting Advertising 101:
Facebook is a great platform for Retargeting Advertising and it is only getting better. So the question is how do I do this? Here are some basic directions for setting up Retargeting via Facebook. There are a lot of considerations outside of this, but if you follow these simple directions it will at least be set up for future use. Even if you are not using right away, it is still worth the effort to set it up, as it can start create audiences before you ever run an ad.
- Navigate to the pixels section in FB Business Manager or Ads Manager
- Find the pixel code supplied in this section (you only need 1)
- Insert code in the area that Facebook requires on your website or landing page
- Word of caution – if you are not familiar with <html> or coding in general, do a lot of research before tinkering with this or ask someone who knows for help.
- Navigate to the Audiences section in FB business manager or ads manager
- Ensure you have the correct ad account selected
- Create a custom audience
- Choose how you want to create the audience (website traffic is the most popular, but there are a lot of other great options now)
- Save as something you can remember
- Create an AD in the power editor using the custom audience you just created
- BAM! You have set up retargeting
To really get your retargeting working as the stats above show, you will need a fine tuned machine. I would recommend testing a few different things to track what is working and what is not, this is exactly what we do as an agency and although you may not have the tools that we do, some testing is a MUST if you are going to capitalize on your efforts.
What to TEST?
- Ad Visuals – try stock photos and custom photos if possible
- Ad Copy – try different headlines etc (Do some research here on what works)
- Placements – mobile vs desktop
- Audiences – We suggest creating a few different retargeting audiences as they may perform differently based on where they navigated on your website or online property.
Hope this was helpful to you for the setup of the very effective Facebook retargeting advertising. This is a basic outline of what needs to be done but there are plenty of resources floating around and I would recommend doing further research if this is something you want to implement in the coming year.
Here are some additional resources for you to use as you see fit: